Looking for good money advice? I have a credit score of almost 800, and this is what I have done over the years.
- Schedule your monthly bills to be paid at the same time every month with your Higher One Account. Your bills will never be late, which raises your credit score.
- When you purchase a house, pay a little extra each month on the mortgage. You will pay it off sooner, and save a lot of interest money in the long run.
- Fix something, rather than buying a new replacement. You be proud of yourself and save money!
- Rent your books, rather than buying new or used. If you must have an access code, then this plan may not work.
- Pay more than your minimum due on any credit cards. You will pay them off much sooner, and spend less on high rates of interest.
- Pack a lunch, rather than purchasing one. This goes for beverages, too!
- Car pool if you can.
- Lastly, start saving for retirement right away! I can't stress how important this is. I started an extra Tax Sheltered Annuity (TSA) account with just $20.00 per bi-weekly paycheck 20 years ago. When I did not have to pay childcare anymore, I raised it to $150.00 (I was used to giving my childcare provider this much anyway). I now have $60,000 in my account, which is money I would not have had if I did not contribute to a TSA.