My Two Cents:  How I saved $1000 in a minute

Document created by danee2029 on May 31, 2016Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Saving for school is difficult, especially if you are a girl and like to shop.  As a returning student, it was a challenge for me to continue the lifestyle I had if I was going to pay for tuition out of pocket.  One thing I personally did was add up all the "luxury" things I did for myself that weren't necessary.  The first thing was the nail salon trips.  I added up how many times I was going to get my nails done and annually I was spending $850 on my nails and about $450 on pedicures.  That blew my mind!  That's a full course load that I was throwing down the drain for a manicure and a pedicure I could do at home myself.  I also realized I was spending about $100 a month on a gym membership.  HELLO!  You can work out in your living room with the 21 day fix and get great results.  I ended up cancelling my month magazine subscriptions that were up for renewal, and I only went shopping when I had a coupon.  It has been difficult and I'm not perfect all year around but by taking a look at what you enjoy and the reality of how much it's costing you, you can find other means to put a smile on your face.  One great piece of advance someone told me was, make sure you aren't pulling back to the point that you are missing out on life.  You don't want to be isolated and not have any fun because otherwise you would go crazy.  So next time you sit down and take a look at your finances, examine if your monthly neccessities are a must or a want.

Month at a Glance- part of the ultimate Budget Binder from www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

Attachments

Outcomes