Get Rid of It

Document created by ezd on May 31, 2016Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

When I was twenty-one, I decided that I was sick of living in the land of snow and mosquitoes that is New England. I wanted to move quite far away, and I was fortunate enough to find a job with a company that would hire me from a distance and pay me well enough to make my own way.

This was my first time striking out on my own and I was understandably nervous. I decided to agree to rent an apartment before moving (mistake #1) and ship out all of my belongings to fill it and make me feel at home (mistake #2). I read advice online about selling and re-buying major items before moving, but I was scared because I didn't know how to be an adult, and I was afraid I'd wind up with nothing and everything would go wrong.

I did not renew my lease at the first apartment. It was in a terrible, crowded, noisy neighborhood. The building was sold without anyone informing me, resulting in the new owners walking in while I was halfway through changing. And I spent over $5000 for the privilege of obtaining this overpriced apartment and filling it with my stuff from home. When I moved out at the end of the year, a good deal of larger pieces of furniture got given or thrown away. I just didn't need it, never used it, didn't have room or time for it.

Four years after moving out, the biggest piece of advice I would give to my past self is this: get rid of it. You don't need a computer desk and chair when you no longer have a desktop computer. You don't need an extra bedroom, and you certainly don't need to live in a place where two hundred people can see into your bedroom. All those clothes, books, and trinkets you have lying around "just in case" you ever want to use them? Get rid of them.

Had I been given this advice by a trusted person before I moved, I would have saved plenty of money, space, and time, not to mention sanity. I would have been able to get ahead of my finances and never wind up in the overdraft spiral that cost me hundreds of dollars more. Maybe I wouldn't have had the same experiences and learned the same lessons, but it would have been a worthwhile trade.

Attachments

Outcomes