I went, last semester, to file for a student loan because my finances were low and I'm a single mom.  Also, my grant was depleted to nothing. When I went into the financial aid office, there was a lady at the window that helped me and had given me some so

Document created by erinat on May 31, 2016Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

I went, last semester, to file for a student loan because my finances were low and I'm a single mom.  Also, my grant was depleted to nothing. When I went into the financial aid office, there was a lady at the window that helped me and had given me some sound advice. She told me that if I were to pay the interest, while I am still in school,  on the unsubsidized loan that I "won't have to pay interest on interest" once I graduate.  The subsidized loan is the loan that the  government will pay the interest on while you're still going to school. But the unsubsidized accrues interest the entire time you're going from the moment you file for the loan.  So to pass on the advice, no matter how small that interest payment, ($10, $15, even if it's $25) if you can pay the interest every month then you really should. That way you don't have to pay interest on the interest.

Attachments

Outcomes