We know you're busy, but pay attention!

Document created by pattigirl on May 27, 2016Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

One of the best pieces of financial advice I ever received was from a financial aid work study student. Because she was already in my shoes, she urged me to pay attention to what loan or grants I was being offered by the government, including if they were subsidized, and what interest rate I was agreeing to. I know it's not a fun topic, and I know sometimes we put our heads down and just sign without reading the fine print because we're so busy and just want to make sure we get into the classes we need. However, paying attention could be the difference between being able to reasonably pay back your loans or being completely shell-shocked when you realize just how much you borrowed and how. She also urged me to either take advantage of work-study positions or find an employer who had a tuition reimbursement policy in place. Sometimes those benefits are worth way more than earning an extra 50 cents per hour elsewhere. Above all she said to ask questions. Lots of questions. Sometimes the workers in financial aid know about little-known benefits that aren't well-known elsewhere. They are a wealth of information, right at your fingertips! Taking this advice from her saved me more than $20K over the course of my education, which is huge!3197180.jpg

Attachments

Outcomes