Budget Time!

Document created by arherbst on May 24, 2016Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

As someone who is now one year removed from their college experience, and potentially going back for graduate school in the fall, I can tell you firsthand how budgeting and planning ahead has helped save my functionality in the real world.

When I was in college, I was not always the most responsible with my money. I went out to buy food a lot, and spent a bunch on material goods that did not make sense to purchase at the time, like video games, collectibles, and other unnecessary items. Needless to say, when money got tight I learned the hard way how to scrape a few pennies together to make ends meet between paychecks. But now, looking back on those moments, I have realized how to deal with those problems.

I was a very active member of the campus community while I was at Plymouth State, leading me to being in many high-profile positions within multiple student organizations. With those responsibilities, I needed to learn how to budget and to be smart about the funds on hand. I quickly learned that I could translate that knowledge to my personal life as well, creating budgets for how I would spend my money going forward. To this day, I continue to budget my money as I work two part-time jobs and work towards attending graduate school for my master's degree in broadcast meteorology.

In conclusion, if there is one piece of advice I have for you, the college students of America, that would be to save your money where you can, and always follow a budget.

Attachments

Outcomes