Momma said there'd be days like this...

Document created by peggyg on May 19, 2016
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

I wanted to give my two cents worth, but the truth is, I don't have two cents.

I am, in every sense of the word, broke.  But it didn't have to be like this, and I know it won't be in the future.  That's because I've learned a thing or two from my Momma, and I've also learned tons through the process of getting financial aid to help pay for school.

The number one issue I had to face is one I like to call, "The Hunger Game".  You come to school every day, knowing you will be here for hours, and that means you're going to get hungry and thirsty, yet you refuse to prepare for it by packing a lunch.  This means you will undoubtedly be purchasing your food from a vending machine, the book store, or the cafeteria.  Now let's do the math: the average entree costs around $4, and that's before adding a drink or any sides.  Let's just say you spend an average of $7 for your meal.  Five days a week, seven bucks a day - that comes to $35 a week!  That's a tank of gas, or more than enough to buy groceries for making your own lunch, hint-hint.

Coffee.  What would the world be like without it?  I can't even imagine, since I drink at least one bucket daily.  But...I have learned to bring my own cup from home, because as cool as those cardboard coffee cups may seem, they tack money onto the bill.  Now add the flavors, milk, mocha-choca-latte, baby!  Yep.  That $1 you would pay to fill your own cup just turned into $3.  No, wait - $4. Espresso? Double-shot?  Hope Donald Trump is buying, because one of those every morning will set you back another $12-15 a week, compared to $5 for refilling your environmentally safe cup.

My last piece of advice for saving those pennies so they can grow into dollars, is to start saving!  Don't let anyone tell you that banking $5 a week is useless.  It adds up just as quickly as the seven bucks spent on lunches.  Not only that, but starting out small makes it painless, and once you see how easily it grows, you're even more motivated to increase what you save.

There you have it - don't slouch, eat your green beans, an' listen to yer Momma!

Attachments

Outcomes