Work > Buy > Consume > Die...

Document created by deborahc on May 19, 2016Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Spending.jpg

https://arebelwithacause.org/2015/05/14/materialism/

As a 47 year old woman, prisoner's wife and mother of three grown children and one grandchild, who is finally able to pursue higher education, I have some words of wisdom to share.  I've had the conventional unhappy marriage, the good-paying career and plenty of opportunities to save over the years, which I didn't do.  Now, in a hurting economy, without that great job,  I find myself pursuing my dream of higher education that eventually leads to a law degree for humanitarian efforts.  I've been forced to not only scale down materialistically (everything I own now fits in a closet), I've scaled down in my expectations of what it means to have a satisfying and rewarding life.  I used to think happiness equated with a nice house, high-paying job, and the ability to vacation where I wanted.  I now realize after losing everything that in doing so I've gained it all - love, peace and my sanity.  Do not allow yourself to fall for the American Dream that requires lots of money.  True satisfaction is found in simplistic living (save a little each month), a passion to pursue knowledge and education, giving back to society, and having deeply loving relationships.  Don't buy the lie and drown in debt.  Don't live for "things," live for "others." 

Attachments

Outcomes