Keep It Simple, Sweetie!

Document created by destjoi on May 17, 2016
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

In today’s economy we are so stressed about making money and spending it. We see continuous advertisements about the newest phone, the newest outfit or heck, even the newest hamburger being eaten by a supermodel on a flaming motorcycle. Even as a college student, we are so pressed to spend money on food if we are not available when the cafeteria is open or we just don’t like the gluten, salt-free options the cafeteria is forced to cook for us. Because we as college students are constantly engaging in many social as well as extracurricular activities, it seems that all of our money goes away faster than our energy during finals week.

My solution to the ever-growing labyrinth of financial crisis? The K.I.S.S. method. I am sure you are wondering “Golly gee! (Because people still use that phrase lol) What is the K.I.S.S. method?”  Well, the K.I.S.S. method is simply Keep It Simple, Sweetie! Of course the original phrase is Keep It Simple, Stupid! However, we all our college students looking for the best life possible so I don’t believe we are stupid, come on! But according the K.I.S.S. method, as coined by the founder of the Financial Peace University, Dave Ramsey, you should pay with cash for the simple things, such as groceries, clothes, etc. I know this is really hard, seeing as credit/debit cards are accepted everywhere and it saves time but believe me, this method helps you save money!

I was introduced to this method in ninth grade when I took a financial advising class at my high school. In this class, we learned how to figure out sales, calculate budgets but the thing that really stood out to me was that in order to eliminate those constant whole in your pocket, you must pay with cash. That way, you are in control of how much you spend and it really makes you think twice about impulse spending.

I was taught at an early age to be frugal as well as wise with my money because my dad and his family were always good at saving their finances for important things. My grandfather always told me to make a budget and carry a specific amount of cash, like say twenty dollars, and try to make it last for the week. I have been following this advice ever since and it has taught me to really think twice before I buy something that I may THINK I need but then it sits in the attic making dust bunnies as friends a year later. Sure I have a debit card, but I only really use it unless I am making large purchases that are very important.

Now that I have told you my two cents for how I save money, I hope you take this advice and apply it to your own lives. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and may your futures be bright as well as your bank accounts!

Attachments

Outcomes