ADHD and overcoming financial math problems

Document created by brittanyp on Nov 19, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Brittany Pomeroy

November 19,2015

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a ten year old child. I have had it all my life, and I have struggled all my life. Even with medication and case managers my life is still impacted heavily because of the this disorder and other learning disabilities I have. Coming into college has been one of the toughest things I have ever done in my life. I am now on my own and I don't have my mother and father to help remind me of things anymore. I am trying my best and I have managed to find some systems that work. However having ADHD and trying to deal with money is very hard almost seemingly impossible.

For those who don't know what ADHD stands for it is attention- Deficit/hyperactive disorder. This makes it hard for me to focus, organize, sit down and even stay still. Impulsiveness and forgetting are some of the main issues I have. On top of that I have a learning disability that causes occasional developmental delays. All that makes it challenging for someone to teach me about finances and anything to do with money. Things get really confusing fast.

I told my case manager about my problem with money and having no understanding of it other then how to count it. I got assigned a math tutor because it just so happened we were learning about word problems dealing with money. I dreaded this class. I was getting bad grades in this class; the teacher was assuming that we all knew how to do 20% off a certain price. The only thing I learned in that class for money was discounts. Well I learned something that was at least useful in the real world. Unlike substituting x and y for word problems so we could find some money amount or percent. That made zero sense to me mainly, because that bright pink dot on the wall was catching my attention. I looked away from the board for one second and a bunch of calculations were already done. At this point I might as well look at the squirrel outside the window climbing the tree. What the squirrel was doing was much more stimulating and at least could be understood quite easily.

I withdrew from the class and I am signed up to take it next semester. I am going to go to my tutor for the first assignment and take it one assignment at a time. Working one on one with someone who has attention issues was going to be my best option. The classroom had to many windows and to many different problems written all over the board. My mind is scattered enough. My mind is like a book with all the paragraphs scrambled into one big mess. It's full of random thoughts too. The fact that I would forget my formulas on how to calculate the problems didn't help either. I swear I have no short term memory. I do have long term memory. Once I finally learn something and I know how to solve it and why it is like that I can understand it. Working with someone with a learning disability requires different teaching techniques that most colleges don't have. There is one way they teach and that's it. The college I go to doesn't have special ed tutors. The tutors here are for normal people without disabilities. I mean we are still entitled to use average tutor but it usually doesn't work.

Knowing how I learn is a big accomplishment because next time I know how to tackle the money word problems. I think that this spring semester of college I will pass the class. I hope to finally understand the problems and be able to maintain some kind of independence with money. If anything at least I can calculate discounts and how much to tip the waitress. To me that is a huge step, but I still have a long way to go.

Attachments

Outcomes