Breaking out of Poverty

Document created by clarab on Nov 18, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

As a very young, single mother of two small children, I could barely make ends meet.  I worked two jobs (one full time and the other part time), lived on welfare and struggled with debt.  This was a tremendously difficult time in my life and I literally did not have an extra dollar to grab a hamburger from McDonalds, thus the smallest of extra expense caused me to use my credit card and go further into debt. During these trying times, I learned out of necessity how to budget my money very carefully and not let my spending habits control me.  Through diligent budgeting, I eventually turned my life around.  It was not easy, and it was not over night, but by the time I was in my mid-twenties I had paid off all my debt except for the mobile home I was living in.  I am now an older adult, going to college to further my skills and abilities.  I have taught these financial management skills to my children and am teaching it to foster children I take in as well.  It is awesome to be able to talk to them about where I came from, the financial struggles I faced, and compare it to where I am at today!  I point out to them that our past does not have to dictate our future, but instead, we can choose to use it as a tool for growth and improvement.  Doing so will help to make us better people, instead of victims of our circumstances.

Attachments

Outcomes