Strive to success

Document created by nancyj on Nov 18, 2015Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Hi, My name is Nancy. I attend the Fox Valley Technical College. I love the atmosphere from both the people and it's surroundings. I have struggled beyond means in my life. Six months ago, I almost became homeless and did not know what to do. I was already attending school. I am a single parent, not by choice. I started attending the Fox Valley Technical college after loosing three jobs, all due to eliminating positions. I have always been one to strive for something bigger and better, but I got caught up like most Americans have in wanting more and my former spouse and I put ourselves so far in debt that we had to file bankruptcy, but soon after he started making purchases and enlarging our bills, but then one day, he decides he doesn't want a family anymore, after nine years, so he left! Well I was attending the FVTC and was not working and was going to quit and just get an ordinary job to make ends meet, but then I thought, "where will I be then"? Probably being put in the same situation, job eliminations are still very much a problem. With the advice of S.A.L.T., I stuck it out, moved to a different place with a lot less rent, re-looked at my finances and re-evaluated my budget for food, gas, movies, and other items. I am now able to stay in college and work part-time. My oldest son attends the Fox Valley Technical College as well and we car pool when we can. We take turns on making meals and see who can make the best meal for the least amount, it's kind of fun! I still miss a lot of things, but I know by doing what I can now, the future will be brighter and I will be financially smarter for it. Thank you for very much for listening to my story.

Sincerely

Nancy Johnson

Attachments

Outcomes