Stuck With Me

Document created by melissai on Nov 18, 2015Last modified by melissai on Dec 5, 2016
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

My master's program is designed to be completed in one year, however there is the option to complete it in two years. I accepted admission to this program knowing that I wanted to take two years. There are many benefits to being in a master's program for two years, mainly 1) you enhance and solidify your foundation in the field's competencies, and 2) developing a manuscript. I was reassured that this would not be an issue. Unfortunately, as financial aid packages were being put together for the incoming class, I received some backlash to taking on another year. As is such, my aid package was delayed until late June. The aid that I received was the absolute bare minimum grant that the program could offer to any student. Although something, the grant was not even enough to cover professional fees. With only two quarters remaining, I desperately sought out an additional Teaching Assistant (TA) position, as the one I had at 25% would certainly not be enough to cover costs. I emailed department coordinators and requested to be added to list-serves to learn of all available positions. Additionally, I reached out to faculty members to notify them of my job search. Moreover, I obtained a part-time job off-campus. Through my own initiative and the support of friends and advisers, I was able to acquire three positions to cover basic living costs and tuition. I still had to take out additional loans, but far less than if I were to not have my employment. Now, the program is "stuck with me" for an additional two quarters.

Attachments

Outcomes