Welcome to New York

Document created by sabryas on Nov 17, 2015Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

On April 1st, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to attend any college, even my state university in Las Vegas. Cruel April Fools' Day joke, I know. On May 1st, I was going to attend the State University of New York Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City.

Being raised in a single parent household where the only income is the measly pay of being a service worker, you understand that you won't always be able to get the latest fashions or newest iPhone, but college-- everybody goes it college. As a child, college is something your elementary school teachers talked about as if that's the whole purpose of why you're sitting criss-cross apple sauce in their classroom. The reality is it's not like that. Financial hardships, whether their sudden or have been a constant in your life, can affect your education and your attainment of higher education.

My senior year was when reality hit me. I couldn't fully understand the concept of college and how it costs thousands and thousands of dollars when I've rarely seen more than a hundred dollars in real life. I knew this dream of mine couldn't perish, so I did what I had to do. I got a job in retail so I can start understanding the concept of money and budgeting. I than began applying to multiple scholarships. Even to the ones where I thought I may have had no chance. I volunteered and participated in extracurricular activities that highlighted my leadership skills and showed how I excelled in certain areas like marketing.

All I wanted was enough money to attend my local state university, however, all my hard work in high school paid off and I won over $20,000 dollars in scholarships. This summer I had a paid internship at my local non-profit and this also helped contribute to my financial success that conquered my financial hardship.

Now in Fall 2015, I'm in New York City achieving my dream.

Attachments

Outcomes