Financial Decision Making

Document created by kayleighe on Nov 17, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

For the past two years, I have attended Paul Smith’s College for Hotel, Resort and Tourism Management. I can honestly say that attending college was the best decision I have ever made. This decision was the first major decision I had made in my life since my graduation from high school. College has helped me adapt to the continuous changes that are likely to happen throughout life, as well as shaping me into the person I am today. When deciding to attend college, I knew I would have some conflicts that I would face in life upon graduation, the main one being student loans and financial debt.

Ever since freshman year, I've had a work study job on campus working in our dining hall. Though I am only allowed to work a maximum of ten hours per week, those ten hours have helped me save up a decent amount of money towards my future. The idea around this work study job was to save up enough money to make quarterly payments of the interest on my student loans while still being enrolled in school. By paying off this interest while in school, my debt upon graduation would be lowered. However, over the past two years, my plans have changed. In the fall of 2016, I will be in my senior year of college. I have made the decision to enroll in the Disney College Program at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. This experience will provide me with the additional knowledge and experience within my chosen major, while also creating a group of professional networking connections. By participating in this program, I have to consider the financial cost that is present. Between the plane ticket from New York to Florida, the monthly rent on a shared apartment, the monthly grocery expense, and the expense of course enrollment and textbooks, I have to save an additional amount of money from my work study job as well as my internship during the upcoming summer.

Financial decision making is an important subject that we all must face time and time again throughout our lives. Though I know that the Disney College Program is an additional expense, I believe that it will provide me with an advancement of experiences that other students may not have the opportunity to receive during their college education. When encountering financial decisions, I have come to learn and believe that all of the exciting things in life do not come free. It is all about deciding whether or not the opportunity and experience is something that is worth the financial expense. In my case, I am willing to put in the hard work and finance expense in order to gain from this learning experience.

Attachments

Outcomes