Believing in yourself

Document created by elainec on Nov 15, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Four days before my 18th birthday, social services took me out of my abusive mother's home. Other than my mom, I didn't have any other family. Social Services wanted to place me in foster care for those remaining four days. I was able to contact a very close friend and ask if I could stay with her mom and her until I figured out my living situation. It was up to my mother if she would let me go live with my friend. Luckily she said yes, so I was able to avoid foster care.

About two weeks later, I moved into a house with my boyfriend and his previous roommate. I had to search for a job that didn't interfere with my boyfriend's, because I didn't have a car to get to and from work. I made it work by getting a job at my town's McDonalds which I worked the overnight shift. I found out that this job wasn't enough to pay the bills, so I had to find another. My second month of living on my own, without any help from others, I was working two jobs and attending an online school to finish my senior year.

Things got really stressful because I was having to deal with a lot of psychological problems on my own. I was overworked and underpaid at Mcdonalds and it was sometimes really hard to find rides to my second job. I put my education on the back burner because real life was more important to me than going to college.

One day, my boyfriend received a call from my mother saying how I had been accepted in Washington State University. It all became clear to me that I had to get through school to make my dream a reality. I finished an entire semester of courses in two weeks and was able to receive all A's and B's.

That summer, I spent preparing myself for the journey to Washington. Because I was from Virginia, it was going to cost me a lot of money. I had to save all the money that I could after rent. I somehow managed to get by with only eating small amounts and working most of the time.

By the time August rolled around, I was ready to make the trip to WSU. My boyfriend and best friend drove me to the airport where I boarded the plane by myself. I arrived in Seattle and boarded a greyhound bus that was on the way to Pullman. From the bus stop, I had to take a very expensive cab ride to the university.

This experience was very, very scary for someone who had only been 18 a few months, but I knew I had to do it. I wouldn't change a single thing that has happened. I am able to handle my money very well and I'm able to be self-sufficent. I'm overjoyed to have worked so hard for what I wanted, because I don't take my college experience for granted. I came to college in hopes that one day I will have my PhD. I overcame so many life struggles within the past few months. I never let anything slow me down. I was always able to pick myself back up and continue moving forward. I know life has a lot more obstacles in store for me, but I will never let anything come between me and my future goals.

Attachments

Outcomes