Dream Car

Document created by ericm_1 on Nov 15, 2015Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

big blue.jpgtruck and barn.jpg

Senior year of high school is usually an interesting time for most people, as they are trying to create the image they want people to remember them by.  I was no exception.  Trucks were a big deal to my friends and I, especially ones that could go off road, and we were just starting to come into a diesel era.  So I said "I want a diesel monster truck."  At this point in my life I knew absolutely nothing about buying a vehicle, working with a bank, or getting auto insurance; all important things that they don't teach in school. They almost preach that issues regarding financial success aren't anything you need to worry about untill after graduating college.

I had a friend that was a few years older then me and I knew that he had just gotten a loan for a truck, so I started asking questions and doing research.  I was already doing monthly training with the US Army National Guard, so I knew what my monthly income was.  When I learned that I met the criteria to take out a loan, my mind started rushing with the possible opportunities.  But there was one criteria I did not meet... I had no credit score.  So I either had to get a credit card to start building my credit, or I had to convince one of my parents to co-sign the loan for me.  The second option seeming faster then the first.  My mom thought I was absolutely insane and refused to even talk to me about it.  So it was onto my dad to help me prove my mom wrong.  After a few weeks of persuading him, he finally agreed.  I talked to the bank and found a loan plan that was right for me, I started doing research on the best truck that I could afford.  In no time at all, on craigslist I found the exact truck that I was visioning and I got the process started. As an 18 year old senior in high school, I now had a 1997 Ford f350 Powerstroke Diesel with tons of aftermarket additions.  But I also had a $10,000 loan to be paid back in 5 years. It was paid in three. 

I took a year off after high school to work, and then got an associates degree in diesel technology.  Now it was time to upgrade to a truck that was a little more practical and faster.  So it was time to go through the loan process again.  This time I had established credit so I no longer needed my father to co-sign.  By now I was able to afford a $20,000 loan but in order to justify to myself spending that much money, I would not settle for a truck unless it had exactly what I wanted. Searching for a few months on Autotrader led me half way across the country to Iowa. I was now driving home my dream truck; 2012 Ford f250 Powerstroke with no aftermarket modifications.  With arguably the best diesel motor on the market, this is a great base line for my passion of building a race truck.   I have had plenty of people a long the way tell me that what I wanted was not possible, making me want it that much more.  I hope my success story is able to motivate others with a goal to find a way to make it happen, and then go get it done.

Attachments

Outcomes