Can I attend my Dream School?

Document created by madelinep on Nov 13, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

When I was a junior in high school, my sister was already attending her dream college. I was starting to look at schools. Some I thought were okay, some not at all and one was my "dream". My family and I went to visit Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana. From the moment we stepped on to the beautiful campus, I knew this was my "dream" school. My parents both loved it too. It was too good to be true. I wanted to go there more than anything but, I applied to other colleges just in case. Everything fell into place for me shortly after I applied. I was accepted and was an official Boilermaker. I was also accepted to the other colleges that happened to be less expensive and less impressive. Unfortunately, my family had been hit with unemployment not once, not twice but three times in a very short period. I couldn't put the burden of an out of state tuition on my parents who just couldn't swing the money. During that time, my house was very quiet. We were in a bit of denial. My parents didn't want to disappoint me but were probably going to have the "talk" that I needed to pick a different choice. I was thinking to myself that my sister was allowed to attend her dream school, so why would I have to settle? As I received acceptance packages from everywhere I applied, I was thinking about what choice I  was going to have to make. Go somewhere I didn't really connect with was not a great option. It turns out the day that Purdue posted scholarships and financial aide was a scary day and also a great day. My mom and I were sitting in front of the computer screen deciding whether of not to sign in. We did it so there was no turning back now. The information was in front of us. We both looked at it, looked at each other and looked back. Could this be true? Was this information correct? My mom didn't want to believe it because it was so stunning. She thought it was a mistake. I was an awarded academic scholarship along with two very generous alumni scholarships that covered almost all of my tuition. I was able to accept my place as a Class of 2016 Purdue Boilermaker all because some alumnus stepped up and believed in me so much and made my dream school a reality. I couldn't have been happier. Don't get me wrong, I will have some loans to pay back after I graduate but, I don't regret for one moment of accepting my place at Purdue University. I am so grateful to the people who donated my tuition for the opportunity to attend my "DREAM" school.

Attachments

Outcomes