Proving success despite my major

Document created by tiffaneyc on Nov 12, 2015Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

I took a break after my undergraduate degree in English. I knew I needed a MA to start the career I wanted. No one hires college professors at the BA level. In the meantime I got a good job managing  restaurant and bought a car.

After my year I started looking into graduate program. I found a good online program to continue my degree path and the peanut gallery opened up: "why teach", "you're making good money", and "who'd want to go back to school" were only a few of the detractors. I ended up leaving that job for a more flexible position with both a pay cut and better benefi options. The supp system kept me in school and on track to graduate with my master's a term early.

Two months later: I got my first teaching job working part time at a local college in addition to staying with the company that helped me get there. My car payments are secure. I'm still living on my own and supporting myself financially. I'm an English major and I have a job in my field. I'm a 24 year old with my own place, my own car, and making my own money. I'm successful

Attachments

Outcomes