Out of debt and on toward the future!

Document created by alaskasean on Nov 11, 2015Last modified by alaskasean on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Following college costs (and associated loans), I found myself in debt for about $80k or over two years of income.  I was greatly focused on changing this situation, and over the next six years, I was able to not only get out of debt but also to increase retirement savings and pay ahead on my mortgage.  Slow and steady.

All of the mistakes were mine, along with some unfortunately timed events.  But also, I was able to get help.  "First rule of hole digging, put down the shovel."  And as my debt reduction plan began to work, I was able to keep an eye on the prize, a future of not living paycheck-to-paycheck.

"Paying myself first", and each month I see the progress.  Also, I like to "set it & forget it", regarding my passively managed, index fund retirement accounts.  Not sure if I have much of a personal financial plan, but I do like to keep mindful of handy phrases in how I relate to money.  I'm very lucky to have a spouse who shares my commitment to our future.

Attachments

Outcomes