Mom on a Mission

Document created by adarag on Nov 11, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

I'm going to start off by saying I am not your typical college student. I am a 28 year old single mother of an amazing 8 year old son. Looking at the ages i'm sure you can do that math and see that I had my son at 19 (5 months before my 20th birthday) a year after graduating high school. Most people would see that as a tragedy, and say how my life was over. I am not most people; this became my motivation for success. I knew that the journey would be long and strenuous but I also knew I could do it. I started off small by taking one class a semester at HCC while working full-time, until I graduated, 8 years after high school, with my Associates Degree. This was only the beginning. Once accepted into the University of Tampa, my motivation has only grown, I am moving towards my Bachelors Degree. I am still a full-time employee but have also been a full-time student during my time at the University of Tampa. Many people ask me how can I manage doing both and still do well. My answer to everyone is, when you have someone and something to work for you just do it. Everyone has the same amount of time each and every day but what separates those who are successful from those who are just getting by is how that time is being used. I will never say it is easy but I will always say it can be done. By holding my full-time job I am able to maintain my home and with the help of the tuition payment plan I can budget to pay my schooling. I separate my wants from my needs and only spend my hard earned money on what is needed for myself and my son. Focusing on my schooling to provide a better future for my son is was strives me to work hard, do well and budget for what is important. I know my son looks up to me and I want him to see that success can be achieved by working hard and never giving up no matter what life throws your way. This is my success story.

Attachments

Outcomes