Broke, Alone, and 17

Document created by dustin on Nov 11, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Since I was 17 years old I have been living on my own. I put myself through high school by eating free breakfast and lunch at school as well as I filed for food stamps to be able to eat while not at school. Going to the Upward Bound program at the University of Maine at Farmington I was able to get the help that I needed to go to college.

Since starting college Fall of 2012 I have worked at least 20 hours a week while taking 12 credits each semester. This past year I worked 40 hours a week to make bills while taking 9 credits. Ever since I was 17 I have had to support myself financially without any help from my parents, yet because my parents made decent money I was never able to get enough money to pay for college from FAFSA so for the first 3 semesters of college I had to pay out of pocket for what financial aid did not cover.

My goal is to get my bachelors degree in a few years but I have to slowly chip away at my degree because of having to work so much while attending school. I am always trying to find scholarships through different sources.

Thank you for reading my story.

Dustin

Attachments

Outcomes