From zero to hero

Document created by imejiav on Nov 10, 2015Last modified by imejiav on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Hi my name is Ivan Mejía, I'm from Mexico, I'm living at Queretaro city working under General Electric (GE) power and Water supervision in a development program called Engineering Edison Development Program

I'm from a very poor family that lives in San Luis Potosí a small city 2 hours near from Queretaro city. I call myself a walker because I´m always walking to save some money, when I was in colleague  I just to walk around 5 miles to return home and save the buss money and the same way to get back to school, that money helped me to don´t skip some meals and keep my self healthy, but walking all the time was not my idea of being successful, I was always thinking about buy my first car and go to a good university on a nice graduate program in the US.

my success story begins since the day I changed my city to try to achieve personal success, I came to Queretaro, I had to save some extra money to pay my buss ticket for the interview but after two travels I started to work with GE in the Edison program two years ago, it was a total challenge because I had to learn high level English language in a short period of time to survive the program and be adaptive for the high technical deliverable they requested every week, however I knew that if I could survive that program they would help me to achieve one of my dreams of doing graduate school in a US university.

After a while I became better and I accomplished the program, they started to pay me some money that was enough to start paying my first car to go to work and the monthly rent of my apartment and home expenses.

this past June I have started my graduate School in North Carolina State University, GE is paying my education with money that I'm currently not able to pay for myself. I'm winning enough to survive but I think all this effort is being paid by itself and will help me to achieve a good life and help my family in a near future.

Ivan

Attachments

Outcomes