The Power of Positive Thinking

Document created by emilyo on Nov 4, 2015Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

When I graduated high school, I knew that I was bound for a technical college and an Associate's degree. I knew that a four year school wasn't for me. Since the day I could drive, I was a work-aholic. I held two jobs for most of my junior and senior years of high school. I started working towards an Associate's degree in Paralegal. I was well organized and had spent the last year working in a call center, so I knew what it meant to be at a desk for nearly ten hours a day. I quickly learned that finishing college was going to take more than jumping through the hoops; you had to be passionate about what you were studying. After moving three times and transferring twice, I finally admitted that I couldn't see myself being a paralegal and that I needed to find a way to channel my passion into a career. By this time, I was 22 and had spent the last two years working as a full time personal trainer. I had found what I truly loved to do. When I was offered the position as a gym manager, I jumped at it, and it just made sense to switch to studying business management. Throughout all of these transitions, I never once dropped out of school or let my studies suffer; I knew an education was important.

Fast forward to today. I have spent the last two years managing a fitness facility and am still attending school full time. I work 40-50 hours per week, organize local charity events, have purchased both my first brand new car and first home, and am getting ready for a trip to Europe as my graduation gift to myself. If you think it can't be done - think again. It won't be easy. But let me tell you, sitting here looking out the window at that fancy 'sold' sign, mere weeks from graduation, it is SO worth it. Make a plan (seriously, write it down so it stares you in the face every day) and stick to it. Work hard. Think highly of yourself. Never let negative thoughts (your own or those of others) influence your drive. If you're unhappy in your current situation, change something. Be actively seeking the best version of you.

Attachments

Outcomes