Being a Single Mom and Going to Graduate School

Document created by alyssab_1 on Nov 4, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

As I was graduating SUNY Canton with my undergraduate degree, I had no idea how I was going to pay for my graduate degree at one of the best engineering Universities in New York while being a single mom. I was already having a hard enough time working part time to pay for daycare at a less expensive college. As the end of my undergraduate career was ending I knew I needed to figure something out.

I applied for many scholarship and then had to wait. I finally decided that I did not receive any of the scholarships and would have to take out student loans. I was very upset because I would be paying back my loans for years. Then finally one week before class started I received an email from my graduate school adviser. He had a teaching assistant ship open. Of course I took it because that was the best opportunity I could ever imagine. During my first semester which is almost over I worked as hard as I could while trying to find time to spend with my son. All of the hard work paid off and my adviser offered me a research assistant ship. I could never imagine that this is where I would be in my studies or even in my life and it all happened because of the hard work and dedication I have to my studies. 

Attachments

Outcomes