Living on my own and life lessons

Document created by kevinm on Nov 4, 2015Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Living on my own and life lessons

I was barely able to explain my excitement as I met with my new landlord, wrote the check, and signed the lease. I got the key and entered my new apartment located just over a mile and a half from campus. My mind began to run wild with the thoughts of having friends over, going for runs in my new neighborhood, and all the other new or different freedoms I'll have.

Little did I know the price of these freedoms was simple but impactful. Responsibility. The responsibility didn't really hit home until having all my laundry wet and the drying in the basement not working. I began to panic, do I call my parents for help? Do I try to fix it myself? If I call my landlord will they be mad or think I broke it? As a young man I didn't know what to do. I had never run into a situation like this, I was lost.

As I search for options as I ran makeshift clotheslines across my apartment from every corner to corner. I realized this wasn't a long term solution and if the other tenants don't call the landlord they dryer will never get fixed. So I decided that I need to lose the anxiety and get things done. As my first real problem as tenant was being solved I felt good, like I could really do this "adult" thing and within two days the dryer was fixed.

I learned a lot from living off campus that year, I learned more about the world and myself than I had previously living on campus. I had fun, was stressed, and sometimes mad trudging through the snow to the bus stop at 7 in the morning. But I will never trade the lessons I learned for anything. I learned more about the world than just something out of textbooks and in lectures. It was a transition in my life that only independence can bring, I would suggest it to everyone.

Attachments

Outcomes