Learning to Use your Resources

Document created by rachelb on Nov 3, 2015Last modified by amara.mastronardi@socialedgeconsulting.com on Dec 5, 2016
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

During my junior year of high school I decided on what college I wanted to attend after I graduated. Unfortunately it being a private school I discovered how expensive it would be. I talked to my school counselor and she helped me apply for local scholarships through my high school. During the my senior year I was award a small scholarship. When applying to my school I looked at opportunities for savings. I learned my school offered a $500 deduction off every semester if you were referred by an alumni, which I took advantage of. After I graduated I decided to get a second job for over the summer. During these warm months I worked 8 am till 3 pm at a grocery store. Later on I would buzz over to a nursing home I worked at throughout high school from 4 to 8. Next, I created a weekly budget for myself. I got an app on my phone that helped me keep track of how I was spending my money and how much I was earning or saving. I went to my bank and they helped me set up a saving account with the highest amount of interest possible and low fees. Also, I got my first credit card . I use it only for things I absolutely need and know I can pay back. Now when I go out I always check the deals or coupons I can use. Adjusting to how I spend my money took some time getting used to. But after I asked for help from others I learned the tools I need to succeed.

Now, I'm a current Freshman in college. I'm about to finish my first semester of school. During the week I work about 30 hours. I grouped my classes together so I only have class 3 days a week. On my days off I work. I've learned how to balance school and work. Now, I can officially say I've discovered how to make positive decisions with my money for my future.

1 person found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes