Where There Is A Will, There Is A Way

Document created by kimberlychavez on Nov 3, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

In September of 2008, I had the world at my finger tips, I had just given birth to my first child and I had no worries on how I was going to support him as I had the greatest job in the world and a fiance that loved our child and myself.  Needless, to say we lived very comfortable with the thoughts of our future endeavors looking bright.  I wouldn't say that we were rich, but I had a means of taking care of our financial burdens.  This unfortunately was short lived as I soon lost my job of 11 years and being the sole provider I found that I became extremely depressed as this was the job that I was going to retire from this was the job that was going to allow me to keep our home that I worked so hard on purchasing by cleaning up years and years of financial neglect. 

I was so worried that the credit that I had built to help our family in the future was soon to be demolished as there was no way I was going to find a job that would pay me the amount I was making working for the State of Idaho.  I spent months depressed not knowing what to do, when I came to the realization that everything happens for a reason and the reason I was nolonger employed at what I thought was my dream job was because it wasn't my dream job; I dreaded the stress of getting beat up on a daily basis and the neglect of not being recognized for the hard work and dedication I gave for that job made going there stressful.  The loss of my job gave me an opportunity to care for my Grandmother for several years before she passed away March of last year and it also gave me the biggest opportunity to fulfill on of my unobtainable dreams...returning to school. 

I returned to school the spring of 2013 as a full-time student in which I began working towards a Bachelor of Psychology and I am now approaching the end of my sophomore year and will be graduating the end of the Fall semester of 2015 with my Associates in Psychology.  I have managed to keep a GPA of 3.25 while working part-time, using financial-aid, and cutting back on a lot of extras that you don't realize you take for granted like buying your partner a gift for their birthday in order to keep the bills paid and a roof over our head. My fiance was in between job which meant that  I  had to ask for help, which is not easy for me as I was always the one that was there if anybody needed help, but I had to learn that it isn't failure to admit that you are in a time in your life when you need a helping hand. And I realized it takes more strength to admit that you need  help in the first place.  I strive to teach my son the importance of giving back when even it is as little just one's time.  I am blessed that I have managed to keep a roof over our heads and thankful that I have the opportunity to fulfill so many of my dreams and I hope in the future that I can help my son fulfill some of his.

Attachments

Outcomes